Active COVID-19 cases in the San Luis Valley have jumped this week to 37, nearly double the 19 known active cases we reported just two days ago.
This significant jump in cases underscores the need to continue to follow and observe necessary public health measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. As a region, we saw a big drop in cases during the month of March, with cases hovering in the 20s for the last half of the month. Our recent low for the region was on March 29th, when we had just 17 active cases.
The recent move to Level Green for all the counties in the San Luis Valley is a great reflection of the progress we have been making in lowering the level of virus spread in the region, but in this case the color green does not quite mean “go” or 100 percent opening or let our guards down. There are still some restrictions in place, and masks are still required in certain settings. More importantly, continued voluntary precautions including mask wearing and social distancing by community members will help keep this very concerning spike in cases from becoming a trend. We all need to do our part to prevent another wave of COVID-19 infection in our region.
We have finally reached the point where the supply of vaccine is sufficient to avoid long waits. Vaccines are now available to all adults who wish to receive one. Teens ages 16-17 are also eligible, but the only vaccine that has been approved for that age group so far is Pfizer. If you would like your teen to receive a vaccine, please let your local public health agency know as they are working together with regional partners to make this happen.
To sign up to receive a vaccine, contact one of the local providers below or register online. Online registration links for each provider are listed at slvphp.com. If you have an appointment and you can’t make it, please call to cancel so that no vaccine is wasted.
- Valley-Wide Health Systems (719) 587-9610
- Rio Grande Hospital (719) 657-2418
- SLV Health (719) 587-1355
- Alamosa County Public Health (719) 589-6639
- Conejos County Public Health (719) 274-4307
- Costilla County Public Health (719) 672-3332
- Silver Thread Public Health (719) 658-2416
- Rio Grande County Public Health (719) 657-3352
- Saguache County Public Health (719) 655-2533
- City Market Pharmacy – www.citymarket.com/rx/guest/get-vaccinated
- Safeway Pharmacy – www.mhealthappointments.com/covidappt
- Walgreens Pharmacy – www.walgreens.com
- Walmart Pharmacy – www.walmart.com/COVIDvaccine
- Episode 49: A Vaccine, a Penguin, and a 3D Printer - April 16, 2021
- San Luis Valley Is Reporting 89 Active COVID-19 Cases - April 15, 2021
- COVID-19 Variants Appearing in the San Luis Valley - April 14, 2021