Monarch Mountain kicks off National Ski Safety Month January 4th. Do you know “The Code”?
Monarch Mountain will be promoting “Know the Code” – the Skier Responsibility Code, developed by the National Ski Area Association to help skiers and boarders be aware of the risks in snow sports.
The seven rules of the slopes are:
- Always stay in control and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
Beginning tomorrow, Monarch staff will wear “Know the Code” buttons to bring attention to the safety code while sharing information with Monarch guests.
Monarch Mountain plans to host additional safety awareness events throughout the month that include Backcountry Day, Kids on Lifts and Lids on Kids.