Cancelations and postponements are streaming in due to the fear of spreading the cornavirus.
As of this morning, there were 49 positive cases in the state, including 3 cases in Gunnison County, 1 in Summit County and 11 in Eagle County.
All area businesses are reporting that they have ramped up cleaning and disinfecting at their establishment.
Salida Schools have cancelled all classes from March 16th through the 29th.
- This weekend’s performances of Clue have been postponed.
- The showing of the film Screenagers has been cancelled.
- The last two days of the State Basketball Tournament have been cancelled.
- Practices for all spring sports have been cancelled.
Buena Vista Schools are in session. Buena Vista Superintendent Lisa Yates says they will continue to evaluate over the weekend in collaboration with public health.
- All school sponsored out of state travel has been cancelled until further notice, including the band trip to Disney over spring break.
- The musical hosted at The Loft will go on tonight. The decision about other performances this weekend will be made later today.
Sunshine Preschool and Daycare will be closed from March 16th through the 29th.
Due to recommendations from public health officials, the Buena Vista Chamber of Commerce’s Business After Hours on March 19th at High Country Bank has been postponed.
In other activities:
- The Run Through Time marathon, 1/2 marathon and fun run has been postponed.
- All public events at A Church have been cancelled.
- The Shawn Waggoner and The Tumblyweeds performance at the SteamPlant is rescheduled for August 29th.
- The Salida Sunrise Rotary Club’s Spring Home Show is cancelled.
- The City of Salida has closed the restrooms at the Coors Boatramp, Alpine Park and the Rotary Scout Hut.
- Columbine Manor is turning away visitors for the safety of their residents.
Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder Lori Mitchell issued a statement saying all motor vehicle transactions, including new titles, registrations placards, can be handled through the mail or online. The clerk’s office can also record a document through the mail or online. Call 539-4004 for more information.
9Health has made the decision to cancel all Spring health fairs this year due to the coronavisus. 9Health says the want to keep participants, volunteers and the community healthy and safe. Health fairs in Buena Vista, Fairplay, Leadville, Saguache and Westcliffe will not have 9Health Fairs this year.
Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center is reporting that a COVID-19 test has still not been received for a sick individual at the hospital showing signs of respiratory symptoms. The person is in home quarantine. HRRMC is following strict guidelines and recommendations from the Colorado Department of Public Health and CDC on next steps which will determined after receiving the test results.
Chaffee County Public Health (CCPH) strongly urges event planners and organizers in the county to consider postponing weekend and upcoming social events for the near future due to the fast-spreading coronavirus (COVID-19) across the nation. The health department also suggests creating virtual events, when possible, as an alternative. “While Chaffee County currently has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, we feel it is in our county’s best interest to proactively take precautions now. Social distancing is a proven strategy to slow or prevent transmission of communicable diseases. We appreciate our community’s investment in health and wellness,” states Andrea Carlstrom, Chaffee County Public Health Director.
Chaffee County Public Health is holding a virtual town hall today at 3 pm on Facebook Live to provide further education, updates, and answer any questions regarding the coronavirus. There will be several healthcare experts from the community on the panel.